Research Interests: Machine Learning, Computer Vision, Mathematical Image Processing, Numerical Analysis, Convex and Non-Convex Optimization, PDE's, Scientific Computing
- ℓ0 Regularized Structured Sparsity Convolutional Neural Networks
- Geodesic Active Contours with Shape Priors for Segmentation, Disocclusion, and Illusory Contour Capture
- A Weighted Difference of Anisotropic and Isotropic Total Variation for Relaxed Mumford-Shah Image Segmentation
- Image Segmentation Using Clique Based Shape Prior and the Mumford Shah Functional
- Parallelization of a Color-Entropy Preprocessed Chan-Vese Model for Face Contour Detection on MultiCore CPU and GPU
- Robust and Efficient Implicit Surface Reconstruction for Point Clouds Based on Convexified Image Segmentation
- Feature Identification for Colon Tumor Classification
- A Fourth Order Dual Method for Staircase Reduction in Texture Extraction and Image Restoration Problems
- Image Decomposition Combining Staircase Reduction and Texture Extraction
- Recent Developments in Total Variation Image Restoration
- Simultaneous Total Variation Image Inpainting and Blind Deconvolution
- Data Dependent Multiscale Total Variation Based Image Decomposition and Contrast Preserving Denoising
- Solution Dynamics, Causality, and Critical Behavior of the Regularization Parameter in Total Variation Denoising Problems
Recent Research Snapshots Below:
Tracking example. B2 Stealth bomber is accurately tracked despite regions in background having similar intensities.
L2 TV Caveats: Isotropic regularization hinders ability to capture chair leg boundary correctly. Increasing regularization yields a loss of features.
Weighted difference of L1 and L2 TV norms yields a more accurate boundary segmentation.
Non-Convex Optimization with Applications to Segmentation and Tracking
Proceedings of the 2016 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Phoenix Arizona, USA, September 25th-28th.
UCLA CAM Report Preprint
ICIP 2016 Poster
Face Tracking (Facial Contour)
Face Tracking (with ellipse fitting)
Automatic Face Contour Detection and Tracking
Parallel Computing, August 2015,
Point Cloud Surface Reconstruction via Convexified Image Segmentation
Journal of Scientific Computing
February 2013, Volume 54, Issue 2-3, pp 577-602.
Image Segmentation Using Clique Based Shape Prior and the Mumford Shah Functional
Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Quebec City, Canada.
27-30th of Sept. pp. 4077-4081.
Recognized as part of the “Top 10%” papers in ICIP 2015.
Shape Prior Segmentation and Disocclusion Video Demos: